Skip to main content

My Thoughts: Anastasia Beverly Hills Subculture Palette

I received my ABH Subculture Palette in the mail! Hear my thoughts and first impression about the Modern Renaissance's "sister palette."

Sister Palette: A term by beauty gurus to relate one eyeshadow to another by formula, set up, and/or color coherence

About two months ago, the Subculture Palette was leaked. Someone from Reddit leaked photos of the palette and I believe (but don't take my word for it) the photos got removed/deleted. However, the photos of the leaked had spread out like wildfire and the next thing you know, you're reading an Allure article about it. Then Norvina, Anastasia's daughter, teased the palette on a livestream, confirming it was actually happening.

The original leaked photo of the Subculture Palette in May of 2017

At first photos of the palettes surface, a lot of the feedback was negative. Many were confused at how this was going to be a "sister palette" to the infamous Modern Renaissance. It was considered a "sister palette" (as we learn later on) because they both have the same matte formula and the same formula set up of 11 mattes and 3 glitter shades.

Many people thought that ABH was off their rocker for the color selection but I could understand it. Palettes take about a year or more in advance to select the color, formulate it perfectly, make the packaging, get it into the packaging, and prepping it for shipping. 

The palette was obviously in its final stage of mass production when it was leaked in May. Not many understand the production progress and at the time I figured this was either a prototype or a new palette for the fall. I felt that this perfect was going to be PERFECT for the fall and I still believe that.

Getting the palette the day of release was interesting though. ABH came out on their instagram, replying to someone saying the drop was at 9 AM PST. I got on the website at 11 AM CST (9 AM Pacific). Everything showed up on the website but nothing had a price. People were already checking out when ABH shut the website down for maintenance.

ABH came out on Instagram saying that the drop would actually be at 9:30 AM PST. Some understood the memo, many others raged in the comment section on Instagram about the website not loading or their purchase from the accidental 9 AM launch not going through. It was a mess due to miscommunication and I felt bad for customer service the day of the launch. People sounded very hostile.

I bought mine the 25th and got it in the mail 27th, so good job to ABH for living up to the term of "2 day shipping." My package was not damaged or dented when I received it in the mail and the palette was very protected by those little crimped paper peanuts. I give 5 stars to ABH for making sure the palette would not get destroyed in case the mail company wasn't going to be nice to my package.



When I opened the palette, nothing was broken, nothing was missing, nothing was scratched. The camera does not do justice for how beautiful this palette looks in real life. The matte formula is spot on. I recommend wetting the brush for the shimmery shades, but it shouldn't be a problem. I personally ALWAYS wet the brush for my shimmer shades. The shade "Axis" is literally the equivalent of "Cyprus Umber" from the Modern Renaissance Palette. It's very blendable, pigmented, and has some kickback.

One of my ABSOLUTE favorite shades is "Untamed" (bottom row, green shade, third to the right) because the color is so flattering. I never thought green shadows were for me and my complexion, but I was wrong. Using the shades "Edge," "Untamed," and "Axis" together is simply stunning.

Used shades "Cube,"  "Edge,"  "New Wave,"  "Destiny,"  "Untamed," and "Axis"
Overall, this is another knockout palette by Anastasia Beverly Hills. This is a beautiful palette to pair with the Modern Renaissance honestly. Though some don't like the color choices, these will be a stunning to use in the fall with all the deeper earthy green tones, the yellows, and the maroon shades. All the shadows are gorgeous, they're pigmented, they blend together so well. It's just amazing. I've been so excited to see what looks people have created with this palette and what their thoughts are about it. I can't wait to play around it it even more.




Disclaimer: I do not own the first photo used above and I am in no way trying to claim they are mine




Be sure to subscribe to my blog, you will receive an email notification every time I post to my blog!

Instagram: @glammunition (and turn on post notifications so you never miss a post)



Question of the Post: Did you purchase the ABH Subculture Palette? If so, do you like it?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sephora vs Ulta: Which Do I Prefer?

Read about my input as to which I prefer and why! Chances are, if you live by a Sephora, you live by an Ulta.  The two stores are quite similar when it comes down to what they offer: a wide option of makeup brands that vary in price to tailor to your needs. However, if you've been in both store before, you notice the obvious differences. LOCATION Starting off with location, Sephora's are typically in a mall (or at least every one I've been in is) and it's lethal to my bank account. My Sephora is located right across from the Starbucks and the Chick-fil-a in the center of the mall and it stares at me every time I walk by, and of course I walk in. There's only one Sephora in the Oklahoma City Metro, making it very crowded. I try to avoid the magnetic pull of Sephora when it's the weekend because my feet are always getting stepped on by people or getting rolled over by a baby stroller. It's inconvenient in my opinion and bothers me during my shoppin

My Thoughts: Beauty Reviews in the Beauty Community

I'll be discussing what I think about makeup reviews within the beauty community and my advice for product research! Makeup is truly a wonderful thing because one product doesn't work out well for one person but is another person's "holy grail" product. Once that person has a response to a product, some will review them (like me) to an audience on social media on whether it was good or not.  People do this to create a rating balance for a product because real people  want to know if a product is worth it or not. What I mean by "rating balance" is the ability to review every feature of a product from poor to exceptional fairly and getting an average star rating of it. People want to know if the quality is good, if the pigmentation is there, if it's travel friendly, so on and so forth.  My current makeup collection. I've researched numerous of reviews before purchasing the products I've bought! I think for some time, a lot of p

My Thoughts: Too Faced

Hear my thoughts on whether I think Too Faced is overdone with some of their products or is overdue for some new products! Too Faced is a widely known for their child-like makeup with chocolately and other candy-like scents that take you back to the days you used clear anything flavored Lip Smackers gloss as a little girl. Too Faced swiftly became famous for it's Chocolate Soleil Bronzer, as they blended beautifully into the skin and gave you a sunkissed glow while smelling delicious. The rest is history. Now we reflect on the very successful brand in present day. Chocolate Bar Palettes, Chocolate Bon Bon Palette, Melted Chocolate Lipsticks, Sweet Peach Palette, you name a food and the palette will probably smell like it. Certainly their iconic scents have reeled in a lot of consumers to buy their products because they offer something more unique than the rest of the brands out there. But let's talk about the products. The original Chocolate Bar Palette dropped in