Skip to main content

My Thoughts: Too Faced

Hear my thoughts on whether I think Too Faced is overdone with some of their products or is overdue for some new products!

Too Faced is a widely known for their child-like makeup with chocolately and other candy-like scents that take you back to the days you used clear anything flavored Lip Smackers gloss as a little girl. Too Faced swiftly became famous for it's Chocolate Soleil Bronzer, as they blended beautifully into the skin and gave you a sunkissed glow while smelling delicious. The rest is history.


Now we reflect on the very successful brand in present day. Chocolate Bar Palettes, Chocolate Bon Bon Palette, Melted Chocolate Lipsticks, Sweet Peach Palette, you name a food and the palette will probably smell like it. Certainly their iconic scents have reeled in a lot of consumers to buy their products because they offer something more unique than the rest of the brands out there.



But let's talk about the products. The original Chocolate Bar Palette dropped in December of 2013. Since then, they've released 4 more (soon to be 5) Chocolate Palettes. All of these palettes are very similar: all are very rich chocolatey neutrals with a pop of color or two. Yeah, these palettes were amazing when they first came out and making a second one was great and all, but now it's getting old.

Neutrals ran the eyeshadow game in 2013 and all the way into about 2015 or so. But the trends are changing and Too Faced realizes that neutrals are out, so they continue to push their Chocolate line.

Actually, backtrack. They came out with their Sweet Peach Collection in 2016, and personally I really liked the whole line. Peachy tones are very flattering on my neutral undertoned skin so I was all over the new collection when it came out.

But this year, Too Faced really slacked in my opinion. They did expand their color range for their Born This Way Line and I am very content to see them do that. They also expanded their very successful Melted Lip Line by coming out with Liquid Latex Lip Glosses. However, with eyeshadow, they're dropping a White Chocolate Bar Palette.

When the White Chocolate Chip Palette released, everyone dragged it for being too light and not having solid crease shades. Too Faced heard the complaints and teased us with a full sized version dropping this holiday season.

I mentioned this palette in my anti-haul because I am still not impressed with this palette. The White Chocolate Chip was a flop for most, why bother trying to redeem yourself with a bigger version instead of making something outside of the Chocolate Collection?

Some of the colors are cute, but the color range doesn't look very coherent to me. Good for Too Faced to step out and try lighter colors for a Chocolate Bar Palette. Except, there's one thing.

In the past, Too Faced has been blasted for reusing older eyeshadows from limited edition palettes into new palettes or new holiday collections. A lot of these colors look super familiar in my opinion. The black shade in the palette looks exactly like the black glittery shade "Tempting" from the Sweet Peach Palette. The orange shade looks almost exactly like the shade "Bunny Fu-Fu" from the Totally Cute Palette, and I could go on.

Especially with the holiday collections. It's always similar packaging with light neutral holiday shades with some color. They all look so similar

Too Faced Holiday Collection 2014

Too Faced Holiday Collection 2015

Too Faced Holiday Collection 2016 
Now, Too Faced has 5 more months to redeem themselves. The all matte Peach Palette is releasing and it honestly looks stunning. Like I mentioned before, I really loved the Peach Collection when it released in 2016. They also have their upcoming collab with Kandee Johnson releasing soon. 




I just hope Too Faced does not screw her and her collection over like they did to NikkiTutorials when her collab released. I thought it was pretty crappy of Too Faced to rip Nikki off from her profits. They just had her sign a piece of paper saying it was okay to put her name on a palette and chose the colors to make uber profits. I didn't buy anything from Too Faced for a long time after that happened.

I think the Chocolate Collection needs to retire. Everyone loves a neutral palette and there's nothing wrong with neutrals, but they do not need to be put in a giant vault together and try to sell it as a bundle. It's like the Urban Decay Naked Palettes, we're over it, it's overdone. Trust me, there will still be mass amounts of preteens will still buying your Bon Bon Palette honey, it smells better and the packaging will grab their attention.

I want more vibrancy from Too Faced. I want them to step out of their comfort zone. I heard they are launching another palette that is more colorful and vibrant. But I will not buy it until I hear good reviews on it. I want to know that they really worked hard to get a better formula for their colorful shades. It's been long overdue for something like this from Too Faced.




Disclaimer: I do not own the photos used above and I am in no way trying to claim they are mine




Be sure to subscribe to my blog, you will receive an email notification every time I post to my blog!

Instagram: @glammunition (and turn on post notifications so you never miss a post)



Question of the Post: What are your thoughts on Too Faced?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sephora vs Ulta: Which Do I Prefer?

Read about my input as to which I prefer and why! Chances are, if you live by a Sephora, you live by an Ulta.  The two stores are quite similar when it comes down to what they offer: a wide option of makeup brands that vary in price to tailor to your needs. However, if you've been in both store before, you notice the obvious differences. LOCATION Starting off with location, Sephora's are typically in a mall (or at least every one I've been in is) and it's lethal to my bank account. My Sephora is located right across from the Starbucks and the Chick-fil-a in the center of the mall and it stares at me every time I walk by, and of course I walk in. There's only one Sephora in the Oklahoma City Metro, making it very crowded. I try to avoid the magnetic pull of Sephora when it's the weekend because my feet are always getting stepped on by people or getting rolled over by a baby stroller. It's inconvenient in my opinion and bothers me during my shoppin

My Thoughts: Beauty Reviews in the Beauty Community

I'll be discussing what I think about makeup reviews within the beauty community and my advice for product research! Makeup is truly a wonderful thing because one product doesn't work out well for one person but is another person's "holy grail" product. Once that person has a response to a product, some will review them (like me) to an audience on social media on whether it was good or not.  People do this to create a rating balance for a product because real people  want to know if a product is worth it or not. What I mean by "rating balance" is the ability to review every feature of a product from poor to exceptional fairly and getting an average star rating of it. People want to know if the quality is good, if the pigmentation is there, if it's travel friendly, so on and so forth.  My current makeup collection. I've researched numerous of reviews before purchasing the products I've bought! I think for some time, a lot of p