Skip to main content

Glam Lab: I Compared All My Mascaras That I Owned

I decided to put all six of my mascaras to the ultimate test to see which one is the best, all for science (of course).


I like to sit in my beauty room a lot and just goof around with my makeup. It's my only entertainment as an only child and we all do it! I like to call this goofing around as "experimenting" for valuable knowledge of the makeup products I own. Doing this has really provided me with a lot of scientific breakthroughs for my makeup game. So when I sat down the other day and looked at my mascaras, I thought to myself "which one of you is the superior mascara?" So here are my findings.


BEFORE WE START...

My lashes are definitely thicker and naturally very long. I do prefer a lifting mascara that keeps my lashes up all day but can also add a bit of voluminosity. I've always stuck to shorter bristled mascara wands but I'm venturing out into the more spoole shaped type of wands.

Also, I am BooBoo the Fool and forgot to photograph the mascara on my lashes. I promise I will remember the next time!



DAY 1: BENEFIT ROLLER LASH 

Application Time: 8:15 AM
I wish I took a photo because my lashes looked so cute that day I put it on. My lashes were lifted and fanned out so perfectly when I applied it. I checked up a lunchtime around 11:30 and my lashes were still lifted and gorgeous. The amount of times my tired self kept rubbing my lashes, it didn't smudge completely. Later on in the day, I recorded my 4 o'clock check-up to notice that my lashes were not as lifted as they were (but they still had some lift to them) and there was some flaking on the face, but not a lot. I took a shower that night, but before I hopped in, there was still flaking and my lashes were still slowly beginning to sag as the afternoon progressed. It didn't survive the shower but wasn't easy to remove.

Longevity: ★★★★
Liftedness Throughout The Day: ★★★★
Volume: ★★★
Lengthening: ★★★★★
Overall Rating: ★★★★


DAY 2: MAYBELLINE LASH SENSATIONAL 

Application Time: 8:12 AM
This is the cheapest mascara out of the bunch, coming from the drugstore. The applicator is very similar to to the Roller Lash Mascara but a bit bigger. When applying, it did feel a bit harder to apply in the inner parts of my eye and trying trying not to get it on my face. However, it looked really good on the lashes when first applied. They were very lifted and looked quite similar to my lashes when I applied the Roller Lash Mascara the previous day. I checked up on my lashes at lunchtime and they were still very nice and lifted but did have some flaking. The flaking was not overwhelming or anything too annoying. I had the same results for my 4 o'clock check-up, still some flaking and my lashes continued to not be as lifted. At the end of the day, the longevity of this mascara pretty much vanished and it was a pain in the butt for me to take off whatever excess. I wasn't completely blown away by this mascara, but it wasn't awful in my opinion.

ALSO, I do not know what it is with this mascara, but this literally ruined my lashes. I've never had so many lashes fall out in a day from a mascara. I wore this mascara a few times within a month and every single time, it was extremely difficult to take off and so many of my beautiful, natural lashes kept falling out. If I were to be giving this a star rating in my opinion, and not based off of performance, this is a one star product. I will be getting rid of this mascara.

Longevity: ★★★
Liftedness Throughout The Day: ★★★
Volume: ★★★
Lengthening: ★★★★
Overall Rating: ★★★


DAY 3: LANCOME GRANDIOSE MASCARA 

Application Time: 8:15 AM
Not going to lie, this is one of my favorite mascaras ever. I have repurchased this mascara in the past and I really love it. The bristles on the plastic wand are shorter and the base of the wand is curved to help provide more lifted and fanned out lashes. I was also having a really good lash day when I put on this mascara, so that really helped out with the performance of this mascara. My lashes were very lifted when I applied them in the morning. Checking up during lunch, nothing changed, still lifted, no flaking, and still very fanned out. A lot of people were complimenting me on my lashes that day as well, which made me feel really good, lol. Four o'clock came around, same results. By the end of the day, the mascara finally was showing some wear and tear. They weren't as lifted and the mascara began to flake on me. I got a solid 14 hours of wear with mascara before it started to flake, which made me more content with the mascara.

Longevity: ★★★★★
Liftedness Throughout The Day: ★★★★★
Volume: ★★★
Lengthening: ★★★★★
Overall Rating: ★★★★½ (because there's no half star symbols on the internet, rip)


DAY 4: MAKEUP FOREVER EXCESSIVE LASH

Application Time: 8:32 AM
I personally enjoy this mascara for what it has to offer: volume and lift. This mascara has more of a shorter bristled, spoole type of applicator. I love how it makes my lashes look when I first apply it on the lashes. I get a little bit of volume, but because it isn't a clumpy mascara, it gives me some length to the lashes. But I do have one issue with it that you'll notice as I go throughout the day. At lunch, the lashes were still nice and lifted but the flaking had already begun. When I checked up at 4 o'clock, my lashes were not as lifted and the flaking was just not getting any better. I didn't want to reapply the mascara because I wanted to test the longevity of it throughout the day. By bedtime, I didn't even have to get a makeup wipe to take off the mascara, she was gone. I love the effect this mascara gives off but the longevity is just not there.

Longevity: 
Liftedness Throughout The Day: ★★★
Volume: ★★★★
Lengthening: ★★★★
Overall Rating: ★★★


DAY 5: TARTE LIGHTS, CAMERA, LASHES

Application Time: 8:15 AM
This was also another mascara with a spoole type of brush (as will the rest be from here on out). The bristles were a little longer than the Makeup Forever mascara. When I applied the mascara, it applied quite easily and looked really lifted, voluminous (without being clumpy, because I hate clumpy mascaras), and lengthened. Lunch check-up looked flawless and same went for the 4 o'clock check-up. I was sitting in my bed at 10 something at night, looking at my lashes, and I was blown away. My lashes were still lifted (not as much as the initial application) and there was minimal to no flaking whatsoever. I could still feel the mascara on my lashes by the end of the day.

Fun fact though, this mascara was the first mascara I ever used on my lashes. My 11 year old self was smacking on my mother's Tarte mascara. This mascara is a legend for me and I repurchased it recently after 7 years.

Longevity: ★★★★★
Liftedness Throughout The Day: ★★★★★
Volume: ★★★★
Lengthening: ★★★★★
Overall Rating: ★★★★★


DAY 6: LANCOME MON SIEUR BIG

Application Time: 8:11 AM
This mascara was a sample that I got from a redeemable award at Sephora, so why not include it?? I did enjoy this mascara but it didn't wow me. At lunch, my lashes were still looking lifted at pretty, some flaking but obviously not enough for me to gripe about. At my 4 o'clock check-up, my lashes weren't as lifted but not looking too bad and there was some more flaking throughout the afternoon. By bedtime, there was still some mascara on but not much. The longevity of the Mon Sieur Big Macara is not as long wearing as the Gradiose for comparison's sake. Just throughout the day, my lashes began to sag and flake. My lashes did look pretty when first applied and I do still wear it on the occasion.


Longevity: ★★★★
Liftedness Throughout The Day: ★★★
Volume: ★★★★
Lengthening: ★★★★★
Overall Rating: ★★★★


OVERALL

Out of all the mascaras I've tested out so far, my absolute favorites have to be the Tarte Lights, Camera, Lashes, as well as the Benefit Roller Lash, the Lancome Grandiose Mascara, and the Makeup Forever Excessive Lash. I know the Makeup Forever Mascara only got 3 stars but I seriously love how it makes my lashes look. I usually have a back up in my emergency makeup bag to reapply throughout the day. I personally don't mind having to reapply but I only wear this mascara on days I am not chaotically busy.

I hope this was quite informative for anyone into thinking about getting a new mascara and I will be running this experiment again in the future!



Be sure to subscribe to my blog, you will receive an email notification every time I post to my blog!
Instagram: @glammunition and @glammunition.lnl (and turn on post notifications so you never miss a post)
Facebook: @glammunitionn 


Question of the Post: What is your favorite mascara?

Comments

  1. Hi Nice blog , i also have one blogs in same must read ..https://savarnasmantra.com/blogs/blog/best-lash-mascara-to-get-your-eye-look-completed

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sephora vs Ulta: Which Do I Prefer?

Read about my input as to which I prefer and why! Chances are, if you live by a Sephora, you live by an Ulta.  The two stores are quite similar when it comes down to what they offer: a wide option of makeup brands that vary in price to tailor to your needs. However, if you've been in both store before, you notice the obvious differences. LOCATION Starting off with location, Sephora's are typically in a mall (or at least every one I've been in is) and it's lethal to my bank account. My Sephora is located right across from the Starbucks and the Chick-fil-a in the center of the mall and it stares at me every time I walk by, and of course I walk in. There's only one Sephora in the Oklahoma City Metro, making it very crowded. I try to avoid the magnetic pull of Sephora when it's the weekend because my feet are always getting stepped on by people or getting rolled over by a baby stroller. It's inconvenient in my opinion and bothers me during my shoppin

My Thoughts: Beauty Reviews in the Beauty Community

I'll be discussing what I think about makeup reviews within the beauty community and my advice for product research! Makeup is truly a wonderful thing because one product doesn't work out well for one person but is another person's "holy grail" product. Once that person has a response to a product, some will review them (like me) to an audience on social media on whether it was good or not.  People do this to create a rating balance for a product because real people  want to know if a product is worth it or not. What I mean by "rating balance" is the ability to review every feature of a product from poor to exceptional fairly and getting an average star rating of it. People want to know if the quality is good, if the pigmentation is there, if it's travel friendly, so on and so forth.  My current makeup collection. I've researched numerous of reviews before purchasing the products I've bought! I think for some time, a lot of p

My Thoughts: Too Faced

Hear my thoughts on whether I think Too Faced is overdone with some of their products or is overdue for some new products! Too Faced is a widely known for their child-like makeup with chocolately and other candy-like scents that take you back to the days you used clear anything flavored Lip Smackers gloss as a little girl. Too Faced swiftly became famous for it's Chocolate Soleil Bronzer, as they blended beautifully into the skin and gave you a sunkissed glow while smelling delicious. The rest is history. Now we reflect on the very successful brand in present day. Chocolate Bar Palettes, Chocolate Bon Bon Palette, Melted Chocolate Lipsticks, Sweet Peach Palette, you name a food and the palette will probably smell like it. Certainly their iconic scents have reeled in a lot of consumers to buy their products because they offer something more unique than the rest of the brands out there. But let's talk about the products. The original Chocolate Bar Palette dropped in